2 July 2010
Capita Symonds’ Structures team provided structural
engineering design for the spectacular central sculpture at this
year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed.
The innovative display – sponsored by Alfa
Romeo to celebrate the company’s centenary – was designed
especially for the event by renowned sculptor Gerry Judah. The
structure’s design, which is reminiscent of the car giant’s
Quadrifoglio badge and the red livery of its racing cars, features
an Alfa Romeo P2 (a P2 won the inaugural Automobile World
Championship in 1925) and a 2003 8C Competizione.
Standing at 18.5m high and 25m across, the
sculpture is made from 12 tonnes of steel. Although it appears to
be 175 metres of continuous tube twisted into position, it actually
consists of thirty two precision sections of 323.9mm diameter
steel. The steel sections also had to fit together seamlessly first
time, with no opportunity for mistakes or second chances.
It’s the sixth year in a row that the Capita
Symonds team has worked on the structure. The team’s role was to
develop the artist’s sketches into a three dimensional shape that
balances elegance, structural soundness and practicality to
build.Main contractor services, including steelwork fabrication,
installation and finishing, were provided by Littlehampton
A new sculpture is created for the festival
each year. As with its
predecessors, it only remains for the duration of the festival
and will now be dismantled.
The Goodwood Festival of Speed in Chichester,
West Sussex is one of the world's biggest and most diverse
celebrations of the history of motorsport. Featuring famous cars
and famous drivers, the festival is an unrivalled social and
sporting occasion in the motor racing calendar.
To see an exclusive 'Making of' video click on the
Video tab at the top of the page